Wednesday, October 7, 2009

New Paintings 2009


Click Image to Enlarge


I've just finished a successful Open Studio (not so much in terms of sales, but rather in positive energy and some possibly important opportunities) and so now I'm taking a few free minutes to post the images. Well, it's actually more than a few—way more. First, there's the photography; then the mind-numbing image editing; then formatting everything for its ultimate destination; then writing new code for the webpage (darn picky, I need an assistant); then the upload (go have a martini or something while you wait); and now, I feel it is my responsibility to write cogent text about the whole experience of making these images, but the words won't come. All I can say is there are many Pink flowers and that I learned a whole lot about how to handle pink paint.

I have updated my website (which is long overdue for a redesign, but that's on next year's To-Do List) and I just finished uploading to flickr, so rather than clog the blog, I invite you to visit them. Flickr handles the images in various sizes very well, so I recommend a little excursion over there. My website contains other information about me and my work.

I currently maintain a presence on a small handful of other artist websites, all of which require tedious contortions and much agita to update, so I am reconsidering my involvement and their relative merit against the time and trouble they take. However, one of the worst-looking, and pokey of these is the old Irving Sandler Artists' File Online, and despite its uninviting interface, I will never give it up because it has garnered me more recognition than anything else over the years. I think I first sent my slides there in the early 80s when I was a young hopeful on the streets of New York, trying to get my foot in the door. Admittedly there were fewer artists then, but there were also way fewer doors. And they do not discriminate: my work is not exactly up their alley in terms of exhibition, but people have been finding me there for a long time, even when they had to punch through a carousel to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment