Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Elephant Again: Armory Show 2010, part II

Again, I just let my camera do the thinking for me. No analysis, no critique, not even any hierarchy or organization. And I don't even know if I like all of these. They just jumped into the camera, for what it's worth. Oh, and by the way, my studio partner was with me and some of these are his. Enjoy!

 
John Marin


Charles Burchfield


more Burchfield 
I am a bit of a nut, because I live in NJ and I grew up in New England. It's got the steamy, swampy atmosphere of both places.



Burchfield Wallpaper Pattern (Yeah, really) 



more Burchfield Wallpaper (this is a segue, look out)


Marc Dennis



"Georgia, Georgia..."



James Rosenquist (detail)
I took this because I paint "realistically" some (well, most) of the time and I just wanted to see how he did it. Definitely frisket work with the overlaid image. I admire this guy so much, you can't imagine. I guess it's the irrepressible big spirit. Of course, he started out painting the sides of building out in the Midwest, so big that, as he remarked: by the time you got all the way around, it was time to start painting all over again. (or words to that effect).



Jacques Villègle


Alfonso Ossorio
I'm a fan partly because I feel he is part of my family. 
My aunt worked with him on a church in the Phillipines in 1949-51. 
It was a big project and that's all they talked about when I was little. Also, I found a little drawing by him when we were cleaning out our old house. So I guess that makes me a "collector".




(OK, my bad, I didn't get the info for this visual extravaganza.)




Mark Innerst



Wayne Thiebaud


Elmer Bischoff
(another Bay Area guy, from an earlier time)



Betty Parsons 
(who knew? This palette looks remarkably like some Helen Frankenthaler I've seen, only punchier, less watery. Now I gotta look it up. Also, I'm getting a definite Matisse vibe.) 



Elaine deKooning 

Well, enough for now. We are still so low-tech around here, that we share a computer and it's an old one at that. So I'll post some more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment